Hello,

We are using qpid broker-j version 7.1.6, and testing the poisoned message
feature.
>From the doc, we saw that it is based on the maximum delivery count, and we
were wondering how the client side prefetch will impact this. For example,
qpid jms does a prefetch of 1000 messages by default. Also, if there is a
dispatch router between the client and broker, it will prefetch 250 messages
by default.

The scenario that we tested is the following:
The cluster:
- qpid jms client
- 1 qpid dispatch router with autolinks
- 1 qpid broker-j

We sent 250 messages to a queue, which was configured to have max delivery
count = 1.
A consumer then, consumed one message, and was closed.
We observed that all the remaining 249 messages were considered as poisoned
and deleted.
Even with a delivery count that is higher than 1, we still risk facing this,
if we have several consumers not consuming all the messages.

We were wondering if the prefetch has been taken into account. It made more
sense if the poisoned message was based on rejected deliveries instead of
delivery count. This way, if the client could not process the message, he
rejects it explicitely, and upon reaching the maximum, the message will be
deleted.

Thanks,
Jeremy

-----