+1

On 4/15/21 8:15 AM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
Hi folks,

I would like to propose bumping Qpid JMS up to version 1.0.0+ for
future releases, and simultaneously require Java 11+ for those new
releases, leaving further Java 8 support efforts with the existing 0.x
stream. Barring discussion otherwise I would look to release such a
combination in May.

Java 11 has been the current Java LTS release since September 2018,
and Java 17 will arrive in September to supplant even it. It is over 4
years since we required Java 8+ usage, which was itself a bit over 2
years after first requiring Java 7+ usage (in the old JMS client, the
current one started out on Java 7+). I have seen other projects
discussing transition to Java 11+ for over a year now, with some since
having made the change and some being in progress or imminently so. I
think now is an appropriate time to begin requiring Java 11+.

On the version number I think the codebase has been stable for several
years and the API is fixed, so it's probably long overdue that we just
did it. Other versions numbers are still available if we need them
later.

Doing both at the same time would make it simpler/clearer to
distinguish old and new, simplifying doing future maintenance releases
for the old 0.x line to support JDK8 users for a further period of
time, for example if a security issue arises or just to backport some
important fixes.

Thoughts?

Robbie

.