I haven't tried it to know for sure, but I would expect it to if you
have installed the relevant cyrus-sasl packages to provide support for
it (e.g cyrus-sasl-devel and cyrus-sasl-scram). Proton certainly
supports SCRAM-SHA-1 from way back, when thats all cyrus did, so I'd
expect it to work with SCRAM-SHA-256 now that is supported by cyrus.

The mech=none error suggests the client and server couldn't agree on a
mech they both supported, i.e perhaps that either you dont have the
necessary cyrus packages installed for it to work, or your broker isnt
actually set up to offer SCRAM-SHA-256.