I'm sure many people would be happier if there were fewer lines of code to be
touched.  IMO, this debate is about where it is reasonable to ask folks to
change their code.  I am not afraid to ask someone to tweak their code because,
if you have 100,000 lines of business logic, having to change 1000 lines should
be much lower risk than porting all 100,000 lines to another JS framework.

Also, there are layers to backwards compatibility.  If we create an
mx.collections.ArrayCollection for Royale, that might save you from touching
some lines of code, but what if some other part of your code assumed that
ArrayCollection subclasses ListCollectionView, and so on?  The number of class
dependencies that we'd have to mimic could easily extend into reproducing about
90% of the APIs in Flex.  Flex did not have good separation of concerns.  We
are not staffed to produce classes for 90% of Flex, and I personally do not
wish to work on something like that.

Also, there is a really good chance you will have to change some of your code
around ArrayCollection.  There are no weak references for event listeners in
Royale, so if your code tosses out an ArrayCollection and expects it to be
garbage collected, the Royale version will not get GC'd.  If Royale creates an
ArrayCollection class that wraps an IList and you want to get rid of it, you
will probably have to call a release() API or something like that.

So, I do not think it is practical to have zero changes to logic that accessed
Flex classes.  The business logic that I think can be left untouched really
should not take Flex classes as inputs.  IMO, there is a network layer that
should abstract how the data is retrieved.  Your business logic should try to
work with Arrays.  You would probably find it works much faster against Array
instead of ArrayCollection.  The ResultEvent and FaultEvent should be part of
the network layer.  And the ResultEvent handler should call some entry point in
the business logic.

This network layer would be replaced by Royale classes.  The output that gets
passed into the business logic would be the same arrays and function entry
points.  If it is impossible or impractical to write business logic without
Flex classes, I'm interested in knowing that classes are a "must have" and then
we can consider mimicking those classes.  I would hope that ArrayCollection
isn't one of them, or if it is, then nobody cares whether it is a
ListCollectionView or not.  I could imaging mimicking Sort/SortField, but
really, you should pass in a sorted Array to the business logic.  And then the
use of ArrayCollection is in the Network layer and you can make calls to an
ArrayCollecition.release() if you need to.

I wish it could be easier, but I don't know of a practical way to make it so,
at least without more folks writing framework code.  But it still should be
much easier and safer than porting every line of code to a new framework.

My 2 cents,
-Alex