Excellent.  That's what I was looking for.

One more question.

The dataprovider is populated from a JSON call to a webservice Get_GridData:

[Bindable] private var DP_EA_Items:ArrayListView = new ArrayListView();

private function Get_GridData_RH(event:Event):void{
        var jsonDataObject:Object;

        var replacer = function(key, value) {
                        return (value == null) ? "" : value;
                }

        jsonDataObject = JSON.parse(Get_GridData.data,replacer);

        DP_EA_Items = new ArrayListView(new
ArrayList(jsonDataObject.QUERYRESULT));
}

I've tried all kinds of combinations based on TDJ (seeting to null, restting
the dataprovider, etc) but I just can't get the datagrid to clear.

In Flex I did a DP_EA_Items.removeAll() and the grid would clear.  Doesn't
work here.

I feel like I'm missing something basic.