On 10.02.23 14:53, jan.som...@dlr.de wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: users<users-boun...@rtems.org>  On Behalf Of Sebastian Huber
Sent: Freitag, 10. Februar 2023 14:23
To:martinerikwerner....@gmail.com;users@rtems.org
Subject: Re: Determining resource usage for BSP drivers

On 10.02.23 14:19,martinerikwerner....@gmail.com  wrote:
Some BSP drivers use rtems objects in their implementation, for
example GRCAN creating semaphores in bsps/shared/grlib/can/grcan.c.

[...]
Or is it assumed that the system will be configured with unlimited
resources instead in most cases where this could become an issue?
Yes, it is quite difficult to do the resource accounting for the Classic API
objects. We rewrote a lot of drivers to use the self-contained
synchronization objects:

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/c-user/self_contained_objects.html

Ah, very interesting and well explained.
Can one use it as a general rule of thumb for new applications to prefer those
self-contained objects instead of the classic rtems_semaphore_create() objects?
And are there any pitfalls when mixing those two APIs or is it safe to do so?

You can mix the APIs as you like. For applications, I would use a standard API such as POSIX or the C++ library. The POSIX objects perform a bit more error checking. The self-contained objects mentioned above are performance optimized.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München