More specifically, how can I keep track of the update which is handled
via ModifiableValueMap ? Quoting from the ModifiableValueMap documentation
[1], "*Once ResourceResolver.commit() is called, the changes are finally
persisted.*"

Basically I am not sure, how and where can the changes
in ModifiableValueMap be translated to the changes to be done on the
dynamodb backend.

[1] -
http://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/current/javadoc/org/apache/sling/api/resource/ModifiableValueMap.html