This response is good enough for me. The fact that the community hasn't
largely said "yea we see it all the time and it's normal" tells me I'm
probably causing this myself somewhere, and I'll have to look into it. I
just didn't want to lose a day figuring out the root cause if this was known
normal sling behaviour, or that sometime it just needs to render a component
twice to for its own reasons.

Curious that I've observed this on other projects from other devs - we must
be falling for the same pitfall.