Ok, for anyone interested, the problem is with imapproxy 1.2.6 and imap servers that have a long 'hello' text on connect. I compiled the imapproxy 1.2.7 (from debian squeeze, against lenny libraries) and SOGo works great with the new imapproxy. The new line is: (note the ending "]")

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE XIMAPPROXY] Dovecot ready.

Certainly a bug with imapproxy, but fixed in a newer version so only a problem for those of us on Debian Lenny and using a newer version of dovecot than in Lenny.

Ben