Quoting Francis Lachapelle <flachape...@inverse.ca>:

Hi Jon

You could sniff the traffic on your IMAP port and see what's happening.

When you delete a message from any folder, the message will first be copied to the trash and then marked as deleted. If you switch to a different module (Addressbook or Calendar) or logout, the folder will be expunge. You can also explicitly expunge a folder by choosing "Compact this folder" from the contextual menu.

If you delete a message from the trash folder, it won't be copied anywhere and marked as deleted. You have to compact the trash folder to claim some space.

Thanks Francis, I sniffed the wire and it is making the correct IMAP requests. It looks like my understanding of how Sogo dealt with deleted messages was more my issue.

What does "Compact This Folder" do exactly? It doesn't expunge the messages in the Trash folder, the way the "Empty Trash" option does. Does "Empty Trash" not reclaim the free space?

Another thing I noticed as I worked through this problem. When you send a message to the Trash folder then right-click on Trash and choose the option "Empty Trash", this expunges the message. If you then click on another module or mailbox then click on Trash again, you get the message of:

"The message you selected doesn't exist anymore."

The message has been expunged from the system so the error is correct but I don't think you should see it every time you click on Trash after you have expunged the Trash folder. If you logout then back in again you will no longer receive the message.

Jon