On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Pascal Gienger wrote:

We have 60552 tables now, and the WAL backup (hot backup) is still running without any problem.

PostgreSQL 8.4.7 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server with different volumes for DB files and for DB log (WAL) files, 1G shared memory.

I have 125406 tables now, PostgreSQL 8.4.7.
SOGo works without problem with so many tables.

But I cannot backup database with pg_dump command.
It writes:

 pg_dump: WARNING:  out of shared memory
 pg_dump: SQL command failed
 pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  out of shared memory
 HINT:  You might need to increase max_locks_per_transaction.
 pg_dump: The command was: LOCK TABLE public.sogodrendr0013165525c_quick IN
ACCESS SHARE MODE

My system has 32 GB RAM, here are my relevant system settings:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
1342177280

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
1342177280

cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem
250     32000   32      128

Does somebody have any experience how to backup database including thousands of tables with pg_dump command?

I'm using sogo-tools for backup now, works nice.
Nevertheless - to have complete dump of the database would be fine...

Thanks,
Milos