On 16.03.2012 14:39, Piet Hein wrote:

From: Christian Mack<christian.m...@uni-konstanz.de>
Or is there a tool which generates "repeating events" from the birthday
information?

None that I know of.
If you find one, please post it here.

You might look into making something something suitable for you yourself using
the relevant toolkits for perl/python/php/ruby. A quick websearch turned up

http://vpim.rubyforge.org/vcf-to-ics.txt

for example. I would not be surprised if something exactly right already is
available.

I found a python script which converts vCard into iCal events. Unfortunately, neither SOGo nor Thunderbird supports vCard (export).

So I reworked the script to "ldif2ics4bdays". Now it converts LDIF data to iCal. It also provides some new options (see description in the script).

The script :
- parse an LDIF file, e.g. from Thunderbird address book
- finds contacts with birthday information
- creates events for these contacts in iCalendar format

The resulting ics file can be imported into calendar applications, e.g. Thunderbird/Lightning or SOGo ...

The script can be downloaded at:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2517085/dl/ldif2ics4bdays.py

A few notes:

The LDIF export from SOGo is buggy. It does not export any birthday information. Use the Thunderbird address book export functionality instead.

Important: Use a new calendar for testing the import !

I am not a programmer!
Ergo, I have not tested a lot e.g. localization ...

--

with warm regards, Tao