There is another place where the default calendar refresh interval is set within the contents of the Lightning extension, atleast for 1.9.

Its in chrome/calendar/content/calendar/calendar-properties-dialog.js

The line :

if (refreshInterval === null) refreshInterval = 30;

I changed it to 5, did a test install, and confirmed it worked.

Probably over complicating this though, I imagine there is a global preference value I'm just not aware of.