For our use, we chose to go with the ZEG appliance!

We had some familiarity with Linux on desktops, but we purchased 4 hours of paid support from Inverse, and they configured the initial installation. We mounted it on VMware.

1-1/2 years later, we were faced with upgrading both the underlying Ubuntu (11.04 to 12.04) and 'sogo,' 'sope and 'cyrus' We had some problems with 'cyrus' that required help from Inverse.

However, most of the updates/upgrades went well, and I was able to work through them.

We've been very happy with the ZEG appliance! I found that 'webmin' helped with the initial configuration, and I suspect it will help even further when we decide to install 'samba4'

I recommend using the ZEG appliance (but would agree that documentation would help)