Before you give it up!

We are using ESXi 5.0 (free version) on an HP Proliant with three virtual machines.

Windows Server 2008, Server 2008R2 and SOGo ZEG 11.04 (upgraded to 12.01)

We initially installed everything in September, 2011, and we upgraded it all in January, 2013

I do not know "why" you're having trouble with the ZEG, but I doubt it's ESXi (except some settings you're using on the hardware), and I doubt that it's unresolvable. Try different settings or swap hardware.

Do a bit of research in ESXi on the hardware you've chosen.