User logged in SOGo WebUI, but not have XMPP client running.
The XMPP client would be embedded in the SOGo browser window, so the XMPP client would always run.

Scenario 2:
User uses Thunderbird for mail, and never logged in SOGo WebUI.
Then they would not appear in the "currently online in the SOGo webaccess" window. True.

Scenario 3:
User just logged in to SOGo WebUI _during_ an XMPP conversation.
Ok, I'm not an XMPP expert, but I don't see a problem with that.

Believe me, you don't want to handle these situations.
Ok, it was just an idea that popped in my mind, I'm not a programmer :-)

MJ