in my experiences it depends on what configuration file you edit

edit '/etc/sogo/sogo.conf' require system restart (there are probably another way but i don't know of it.)

but if you edit '~sogo/GNUstep/Defaults/(.GNUstepDefaults | sogod.plist)' you only need to restart SOGo service

but really one should use the defaults command as sogo system user to write/edit the configuration and then restart SOGo service

sudo -u sogo defaults write sogod SOGoSieveServer 'sieve://127.0.0.1:4190'
    sudo -u sogo defaults write sogod SOGoSieveScriptsEnabled 'YES'

and then once you have working configuration, just dumb it all into '/etc/sogo/sogo.conf'

    sudo -u sogo /usr/sbin/sogo-tool dump-defaults > /etc/sogo/sogo.conf

Regards
Christian Jensen