On 07/20/2015 10:24 AM, Sven Nielsen wrote:

Setting up samba (2:4.1.18+dfsg-3~inverse1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/logrotate.d/samba ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init/smbd.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/samba ...
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/samba exists during rc.d purge (use -f to force)
dpkg: error processing package samba (--configure):

As a workaround, have you tred simply to remove or rename /etc/init.d/samba to something else before running 'apt-get install -f" ? This should get you around this error and one step further..

Sven

Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
adam@sogo:~$

that was Rowland Penney's original suggestion --

(1) edit '/var/lib/dpkg/status'
(2) run 'sudo update-rd.d samba remove'
(3) and 'sudo apt-get -f install'

I've run all three but the last time I didn't run (2) because there wasn't an error before the attempt (only after) What you cite here is the error AFTER I ran 'sudo apt-get -f install' which admittedly is the clue.

And, as others have suggested, it shows the problem with the script in the Inverse 'samba' package.

I'll do these tonight before attempting to download and edit myself.

I think Inverse should "fix" their 'samba' package. Maybe a bug report should be filed?