I solved the problem!

It is stock android 5 (Moto G, GPE) with stock mail, by the way. It happens on
multiple devices.

It is like this:
The mail client connects to my mail server. The mail server is called
"mail.domain.tld".

Now, another domain name on the same server (other.domain.tld) is supplied to
the mail client by apache, while the certificate itself is served by the mail
server (dovecot, postfix, ..). Obviously, the name of the domain now does not
match the certificate.

What I had to do was to add mail.domain.tld to the apache vhosts and make it
the first to be served by appending 000_ at the beginning of the name of the
vserver config. Now, name and certificate do match.

I wonder why apache serves the mail client in the first place...

Adrian