I am not sure whether https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_ActiveSync#Licensing applies but that article mentions patents, which are potentially only valid in some countries.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent for more information. According to this article "computer-implemented inventions that only solve a business problem using a computer, rather than a technical problem, are considered unpatentable [...]" in the European Union. Of course, you might have a hard time arguing with Microsoft.

I don't use Active Sync. A friend did some testing and came to the conclusion that Active Sync drains phone batteries faster than CalDAV and CardDAV. He also said that some Active Sync implementations don't search the global address list for contacts and resources when you create events.