Hi Michael

> On Dec 10, 2021, at 07:30, M. Koch - MiKo-EDV <users@sogo.nu> wrote:
>
> The described function of "settings, email, filters" does only touch incoming
> mails.
>
> I'd like to have a possibility to create a filter action for mails that are
> already sorted into a subfolder.
> For instance, I get every night about 60 notification mails from different
> customers' systems about backup, status, etc..
> These mails go by filters into defined subfolders per customer and below that
> even per device - all no problem.
> But every let's say three months I want to clean up and delete all the mails
> in these subfolders older than 3 months, since these typically "ok"
> notifications are of no importance any more.
>
> Now, I must go to the subfolder, sort by sender and date, scroll down 3-400
> lines to the last "date of no-importance", click the next 3-500 mails and
> then delete them (which only moves them into the waste bin, where I have to
> delete them a second time ...) - and as this clicking takes more time than
> the refresh interval, I can start from the top of the list again ... and
> repeat that for about 10 subfolders ...
> This task would already be easier, if there was within the "search within
> this folder" options a seletion entry "older/newer than <date>".
>
> When still working with Outlook, I had created a rule set, containing the
> definition of such a clean-up rule, and could execute it within any actual
> subfolder ...
> But only for this, it's not worth the license price.

This feature depends on the mailstore implementation. For example, Cyrus IMAPd
uses annotations (/vendor/cmu/cyrus-imapd/expire), which gives control to the
user:

  https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/faqs/o-annotations.html

Dovecot seems to only provide a way to autoexpunge mailboxes globally:

  https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/namespace/#mailbox-settings

Adding support for Cyrus annotation would be relatively easy. For Dovecot, we
would need to use annotations (metadata, RFC 5464), to let the user assign a
messages expiration to a mailbox and then extend sogo-tool to use this
information to remove expired messages .. Basically doing what Cyrus IMAPd is
already doing.

Francis