Hi.

You are correct. Solr is no longer a WAR, it is a standalone app. All attempt
to rip out pieces to make it run elsewehre is unsupported and on your own risk
(though probably possible).

We highly recommend following the documented means of installing Solr into your
environment.
Please treat Solr as a standalone application with a start script and
configuraiton files.
The Jetty shipped with Solr is 100% behind the scenes and considered an
implementation detail.

Good luch with the upgrade. Lots will have changed since 3.x. Probably better
to treat it more like a re-implementation than a simple upgrade. You'll want to
take advantage of new best practices in later versions. Your existing
schema.xml will not work without a full re-write etc.

Jan