On 1 Jan 2018, at 14:30 (-0500), Alan Hodgson wrote:

On Mon, 2018-01-01 at 10:29 -0500, Bill Cole wrote:
[...]
HOWEVER, the idea of enforcing any standard on MIDs beyond gross
formatĀ
(e.g.: <[[:ascii:]]{3,996}>) on a system where the admin isn't the
soleĀ
user is ludicrous.

I've had good success junking anything with one of my domains in the
message-id, where I know the mail isn't actually from someone in that
domain. That's a pretty solid spam signature.

Yes, I was a bit imprecise. Very specific idiosyncratic MID patterns can be extremely accurate spam indicators. Enforcement of RFC or common practice "standards" is riskier than it is worth.

Lack of any message-id is also significant, but sadly there are still
some real senders sending mail with no message-id.

Yes. It's one of the most annoying persistent sorts of mail sloppiness.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole