> Hi,
>
> I'm curious what people use to avoid malware executable being bypassed
> because their extensions are typically associated with file types that
> are not normally executable?
>
> https://twitter.com/jepayneMSFT/status/969742842410094593
>
> Do you just rely on clamav? Do you do any types of checks of the
> actual bytes in the file to confirm they're in line with what that
> file type should be?

Yes Alex! Our URIBL script does a magic number check and other checks, if
the file does not have a executable extension, to see if it is a masked
executable file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5aorrijafw5ygk0/uribl.pl?dl=0

The script will send to Clamav any executable file, even masked.

If you have any masked executable, that this script ignores, just send it
to me because I can improve this check OK?

> How would this even present itself in an email?

If you use our script, no matter how it will present. Just check all
attachments on it, including HTML of body.