On 30 May 2018, at 17:19 (-0400), Luis E. Muñoz wrote:

On 30 May 2018, at 13:54, Bill Cole wrote:

On 30 May 2018, at 14:51 (-0400), Grant Taylor wrote:

Since Qualcom transferred the Eudora IP to the Computer History Museum and open sourced the source code, I expect that we will be seeing movement there in. I think I've seen some references to projects to resurrect the code base within days of the announcement.

I wouldn't bet on a successful reanimation of the Eudora corpse for MacOS. My understanding from its developers at the time Qualcomm killed it in favor of re-skinning TBird (which also fizzled) is that the code was unmaintainable and required essentially a full rewrite to keep working on MacOS X given the ongoing rot in the Carbon APIs.

Also, IIRC, messages were kept in mbox-like files. That would certainly not scale well.

That's actually not a big issue, since they were mbox with an index in the resource fork or a sibling file and so did not suffer from the performance issues that simple mbox used simplistically has.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steadier Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole