On 29/07/18 11:28, Antony Stone wrote:
On Sunday 29 July 2018 at 12:17:07, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

I've been having a number of emails recently from Yahoo and AOL senders
hitting the RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO rule. I'm trying to understand what is
going on:

1. First off, the rule hits on the EHLO line - which means the it is an
authenticated SMTP submission.

Er, what?

No, EHLO simply means "Hello, I'm capable of doing ESMTP".

Thank you - I clearly got that one wrong.

Looking again at it - the 82.132.242.82 is registered as O2/Telefonica wireless broadband. I wonder if this is a 3G/4G connection - which in UK always has a private IP address - at the mobile phone level. Maybe that's why the confusion - the MUA on the mobile phone thinks it is 10.7.54.227 (which it is), but the Yahoo server can only see the public IP 80.132.242.82, which belongs to the O2 gateway. Could that explain that particular header?