On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 12:03:38 +0100
Daniele Duca wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> as said some days ago I started a DNSBL based on abused/malign BTC
> addresses. This list is queried by an SA plugin that  takes the md5
> hash (I know, outdated algorithm, but good enough for this purpose
> IMHO)

As I pointed out before hashing isn't needed to avoid FPs on case
insensitive matches, and it does make things less transparent in
debugging.

These addresses contain a 160 bit hash of the public key and a 256 bit
validity hash. When you convert an alphanumeric string to lower case
you only lose about 13% of the entropy, so the probability that two
valid and distinct addresses have a case insensitive match is
approximately:

  1 in 2^360

compare that with the probability of the same md5 hash value:

   1 in 2^128

and the probability that two wallets have the same address:

  1 in 2^160

With email address lookups the main reason for hashing was privacy,
but that obviously doesn't apply here.