On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 03:41, John Hardin <jhar...@impsec.org> wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018, Rupert Gallagher wrote:

The email address is an address, part of your personally identifiable
data.

I'm not disputing that. I write software that deals with PII in my day job.

If an identifiable entity in the US sends mass mail to European
addresses, then they must have a representative in Europe and comply
with the GDPR.

(1) how do you *force* someone in the US to have a representative in
Europe?

You file a complaint with your national ombudsman. In your case, stress the fact that they are processing political data in addition to common data. Do not expect immediate termination of spam. The ombudsman will proceed to verify the facts, identify the parties involved, check compliance claims, and enforce the EU-US bilateral agreement.

see the discussion of the bilateral agreement below.

In the end, the spammers

Point of order: we're not talking about spammers per se, we're talking about a legitimate US-only organization (NOT necessarily a business) that is sending email to an EU correspondant, possibly at that person's automatically-processed request (e.g. by subscribing to a mailing list).

will most likely refuse to appoint an EU representative,

Why would the organization do so, if their only interest is in the US?

and the EU will shut down their website.

If the organization has no presence in the EU, and the website is not hosted in the EU, *how*? The EU is *not* the World Government and Ultimate Internet Regulatory Authority.

(2) if they do no business in the EU, and do not have any presence in the
EU (sending email to addresses in the EU is not "having a presence in the
EU"), how are they subject to fines for violating the law in the EU?

If, for example, I - a private, non-commercial entity - hosted a mailing
list on my private server (which I have done in the past), and someone in
the EU subscribed and posted to that list and their email address was
captured in the list archives, and they later unsubscribed and asked for
their email address to be removed from the list archives, and I (for
whatever reason) did not do so, *how* would an EU court levy fines against
me?

The US is not a signatory to the GDPR as far as I am aware, and I have
*no* legal presence outside the US.

The US signed a bilateral agreement with the EU:
https://www.privacyshield.gov/

By my quick reading:

(1) that only applies to businesses and (apparently) common carriers - I don't see any suggestion that something like a domestic political advocacy group would be affected (I'm presuming that since such is not a commercial entity or common carrier they are not subject to the jurisdiction of the FTC or DOT), and certainly not a private citizen acting on their own behalf (like in my mailing list hypothetical above).

(2) it is a *voluntary* framework for assuring your customers you abide by requirements aligned with the GDPR, with certification by a third party that you do so.

(3) it only provides for punishment of companies that have *voluntarily* enrolled and don't actually implement the required controls, which is punished as "deceptive advertising" (i.e. claiming to protect your privacy but not actually doing so); there are fines, but apparently there is no provision for the *huge* fines that GDPR threatens, and I see no provision for "shutting down a website" (though that may be dragged in via other FTC regulations related to deceptive advertising). If a company persistently violates the terms of their enrollment they will be removed from the program.

So: that does not appear to apply at all to me as a private citizen running a mailing list, and *probably* does not apply to purely-US non-business entities (e.g. a political advocacy organization) that have not applied for membership in the program so that they can publicly claim to be protecting your privacy under a framework similar to the GDPR.