On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:50:58 -0700
Grant Taylor <gtay...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> On 2/16/19 8:50 AM, David Niklas wrote:
> > My context was not that email servers were so unique to the internet
> > > that there is only one in the world, rather that they were
> > > sufficiently
>  > few that a failure of one, such as VFEmail, is a major problem for a
>  > > lot of people.
>
> That is a decidedly different problem than what usually considered SPOF.
>
> > My email is affected, just not all gone. I still can't send or
> > receive > emails from my accounts.
>
> I'm sorry that you (and others) were effected.
>
> > Your email is unaffected. But your email and a lot of others is on
> > gmai
> l > and if they suffered the same attack then that would show that
> gmail is
>  > a SPOF, just like VFEmail.
>
> My email is decidedly not on Gmail.  Seeing as how I run my own email
> infrastructure, I'm not effected by anybody's actions by my own (or
> someone that hacks me and pretends to be me).  VFEmail, Gmail, Yahoo,
> etc can all have failures and my email, along with the hundreds of
> thousands of other email servers, will not be effected.
>
> I also know for a fact that it would be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT, if not
> actually impossible, for the same type of attack to happen to Gmail.
> Between the infrastructure, number and type of backups, and monitoring,
> such an attack would be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to conduct against to Gmail.
>
> > I don't understand why this is confusing. I've listened to many talks
> > > on distributed systems, such as freenet, and they always mention
> > > that > they want no SPOF and then go on to list servers, just like
> > > gmail and > VFEmail as a SPOF.
>
> The /desire/ to avoid a SPOF is independent of what actually exists.
>
> It's somewhat easy to shard different parts of an email service across
> multiple separate / discrete pieces of infrastructure, such that the
> blast radius of a catastrophic failure in one part has little to no
> effect on another part.  But that's complex to do and requires people
> that are very good at what they do.  Even then, it's possible, all be
> it difficult, to turn a portion of the infrastructure into a crater.
> It's just a matter of how much that portion impacts.
>
> Thus why I asked you earlier, "how were distributed email systems
> designed with no single point of failure?"  How do you design an email
> system that doesn't have any single points that impact everything.
> Even if your infrastructure is highly redundant, and highly
> distributed, you still end up with a dependency on the domain name that
> is common across it.
>
> Sure, DNS infrastructure can be made highly redundant.  But that's
> functionally serving the same (single for the sake of this discussion)
> name.  Then there is the registrar and DNS infrastructure above that,
> which are largely SPOF against a sufficiently motivated attacker.
>
> Sure, you could arrange Business-to-Business partner relationship with
> [...]

Under those conditions even so much as cutting the (plastic) internet
cable would be all that is needed to preform a SPOF against what I
proposed.
It is, therefore, unrealistic for me to define a distributed email system
as not having a SPOF with respect to your definition herein.
My understanding would be more of a "contain the blast" method. And I
still am of the opinion that it would do a better job than is currently
being employed, at a fraction of the cost (esp. cost to user privacy).

Please note, however, that individuals normally have IPs, not DNS names,
so that cuts off a main route of attack.

Sincerely,
David