On 2019-03-18 17:40, @lbutlr wrote:

On 18 Mar 2019, at 13:59, James <bjloc...@lockie.ca> wrote:

On 2019-03-17 5:43 p.m., @lbutlr wrote:
On 17 Mar 2019, at 15:03, James <bjloc...@lockie.ca> wrote:
I run sa-learn --ham on my inboxes.
You inboxes likely contain spam messages that haven't been caught, so training
on inbox will poison your bayes in favor of more spam. Unless your inbox is
perfect (entirely devoid of spam and containing only desired messages) you
should not do this.

The documentation says to use your inbox. :-)

It does not.

It certainly suggests it by example.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.4/README
Learning
--------
Apache SpamAssassin includes a Bayesian learning filter, so it is worthwhile
training Apache SpamAssassin with your collection of non-spam and spam,

It says to train it with spam and not spam.

if possible.  This will make it more accurate for your incoming mail.
Do this using the "sa-learn" tools, like so:
        sa-learn --spam ~/Mail/saved-spam-folder
        sa-learn --ham ~/Mail/inbox
        sa-learn --ham ~/Mail/other-nonspam-folder

Again, if you are like most people, there is spam in your inbox. Reality, you
know?

I've been pondering this, what happens when you learn a message as non-spam and then ham a few minutes later? As I understand it you do not need to explicitly --forget, SpamAssassin is smart enough to handle this situation, no? And if so, learning your Inbox should be fine as long as you move messages to Spam (and don't just delete) when appropriate.