On 24 Mar 2019, at 13:12, Grant Taylor <gtay...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> That changed within the last couple of years.  Check out RFC 8314.

Which I posted a few messages upthread.

On 24 Mar 2019, at 13:16, Grant Taylor <gtay...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 3/24/19 1:00 PM, @lbutlr wrote:
>> And didn't Microsoft start using it for their non-standard email in Windows
>> 95?
>
> I'm not sure how non-standard Microsoft's use of SMTP-over-TLS (SMTPS / TCP
> port 465) is.  The closest thing I remember to non-standard nature was that
> they were atypical in their choice of preferring SMTP-over-TLS verses the
> more common MSA port combined with STARTTLS.  But as far as I know,
> SMTP-over-TLS / SMTPS / TCP port 465 is standard.

Is now. Was not then. Was not for many many years. TFC 8314 is very recent.

>> Also, smtps and SMTPS are not, oddly, then same thing.
>
> Okay, what do you think the difference is in "smtps" and "SMTPS"?

The details escape me,. but they are different. I think the ;lowercase one is
the multicast audio .

Oh, look, Wikip[edia has some details.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTPS#Difference_between_SMTPS_and_smtps>

--
MS Word still hasn't caught up -- it has more bells and whistles, but not as
many pistons and cylinders. -- Steve Hayes