On 04-10-19 04:31, Bill Cole wrote:
On 3 Oct 2019, at 20:01, Rick Cooper wrote:

Philip wrote:
Morning List,

Lately I'm getting a bunch of emails that are showing up with two
email addresses in the From: field.

From: "Persons Name <lo...@address.nz>" <s...@address.com>

When you look in your mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird) it's showing
only "Persons Name <lo...@address.nz>"

Is there a way I can mark From: that has 2 email addresses in it as
spam? Pro's Cons?

Phil

Can't imagine the circumstance where such a from: format would be required

I've seen it used as a perfectly reasonable workaround for the misfeature described above of many MUAs of hiding the address field in To/From/CC headers. Because many people actually want to know what the actual address is.

I would disagree on the "reasonable" here. People using a mailclient should configure it as they wish. My client hides email addresses for everyone in my address book, but not for 'unknown' addresses.

That is how I like it, and I don't think senders should try to enforce a workaround for this because their recipients are too stupid to configure their email client (or switch to a decent one).

Anyway, the main harm is done when the email adresses in the 'addr' field and the 'name' are different, and that's detectable.

Kind regards,
    Tom