On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 11:34:09 -0400
Greg Troxel wrote:

> Steve Dondley <s...@dondley.com> writes:
>
> > I'm learning a bit about spamassassin rules and taking a peek at how
> > my inbound mail is scored. I noticed that PF_NONE scores zero points
> > by default. I'm wondering if there is a good reason for not giving
> > it a score and whether I should set that to something much higher
> > like 1.0.
> >
> > I'm curious to know what more experienced people have this set
> > to. Thanks.
>
> The meta point is that scores are normally set by examining a large
> corpus of ham and spam.   You are implicitly adopting a theory that
> SPF_NONE is correlated with spamminess, but you have not validated
> that theory.

The score of SPF_NONE is not set automatically and it was only
turned-on as an informational rule a couple of years ago.

The score distribution, in rule QA suggests it would stand a higher
score. However, the KAM rules contain:

header   __KAM_SPF_NONE    eval:check_for_spf_none()
meta     KAM_LAZY_DOMAIN_SECURITY (!__DKIM_EXISTS && __KAM_SPF_NONE)
score    KAM_LAZY_DOMAIN_SECURITY 1.0

This is better than scoring SPF_NONE directly as the check for a DKIM
signature will mitigate SPF_NONE hits that are caused by networking
problems.