On 28 Apr 2021, at 9:54, Alex wrote:

Hi,

-1.0 MAILING_LIST_MULTI Multiple indicators imply a widely-seen list
                           manager

I have disabled his rule some time ago.
Many spammers use mailing list or their signatures.

Where is the score coming from for this rule? There isn't an explicit
"score" value associated with the rule.

Default score is 1 for 'spam' rules, -1 for 'nice' rules.

describe MAILING_LIST_MULTI     Multiple indicators imply a
widely-seen list manager
meta   MAILING_LIST_MULTI       __HAS_X_LOOP + __HAS_X_MAILING_LIST +
__HAS_X_MAILMAN_VERSION + __HAS_LIST_ID + __HAS_X_BEEN_THERE
+__DOS_HAS_LIST_UNSUB + __ML1 + __ML3 + __ML4 + __ML5 > 2
tflags MAILING_LIST_MULTI       nice

If everyone (figuratively speaking, I suppose) is disabling it,

Not figuratively, hyperbolically...

In my experience, most SA users never touch the scores of default rules.

wouldn't it be helpful to define it explicitly or see how it's doing
in masschecks?

As a ham-sign it is doing reasonably well. S/O is consistently <0.2.

It seems like it would be helpful to look at ways mailing lists are
manipulated by spammers more closely and perhaps find some anomalies
there.

It's very hard to analyze spam you never see. The last time I saw MAILING_LIST_MULTI make the difference in a false negative was 2020-11-12. That was also the last time it hit anything that scored less than 6 that wasn't a FP, i.e. where it was too weak to save ham from the pit. Most of the spam it hits for me scores so high that I keep nothing of it but log entries.

The one FN from last November that I do have is problematic for identifying any FN pattern. Aside from being a single example, its idiosyncrasies are due to a tool that is in broad use by both spammers and non-spammers.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire