I'm trying to create a rule to count the number of instances of a particular header. IE in email messages there could be zero or more instances of a particular header and I want to know how many there are so I can use that info in a meta to detect a spam sign.

I first crafted a rule:
header L_MY_HEADER   X-My-Header !~ /^UNSET$/ [if-unset: UNSET]
describe L_MY_HEADER has X-My_header
score L_MY_HEADER    0.1

Which did correctly detect the existence of 'X-My-Header'. Then to count the number of them I added a 'tflags':
tflags L_MY_HEADER  multiple maxhits=10

But that would always fire 10 times if there were any instances of 'X-My-Header' (even if there was only one).

So I modified the pattern match part of the rule:
header L_MY_HEADER  X-My-Header =~ /./

Which had the same effect as the first form (IE either zero or 10 firings).

As the header would have at least 6 characters but less than 150 I then tried:
header L_MY_HEADER  X-My-Header =~ /^.{5,200}/

Which would fire only once, even if there were 5 or more instances of the header.

What am I doing wrong? How should I craft a rule to count the number of instances of that header?

Thanks,
Dave

--
Dave Funk                               University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>     College of Engineering