The originating PHP script header helps people who run shared servers track down the source of problematic mail. The two most common cases are:

- A contact form with poor security and the option to send a copy to the "commenter". Hackers find these and flood them.

- A completely compromised site with some mailer script buried down in a folder that shouldn't have code (typically some image path).

Both give a quick indication of which account needs to be suspended and what the best course for remediation should be from there.

In cPanel, the X-OutGoing-Spam-Status header is generated by hosts who run SpamAssassin on outbound mail. As it's easily forged it's kind of useless on the receiving side (and until a few months back was actually scoring 0.2 on incoming) but it's generated by cPanel with no option to disable it. It might also serve as a useful diagnostic for hosts trying to figure out how the heck an obvious spam message managed to get sent: if it's not there, then the message was sent by a nonstandard MTA.

On 2021-09-08 18:40, Bert Van de Poel wrote:
By default any PHP script that's sending an email will contain X-PHP-Originating-Script on several Linux distros, even though it's not the official default (see https://www.php.net/manual/en/mail.configuration.php , one of the first Google results). It's a pretty common occurrence to see that header in automated emails of all kinds (e.g. registration confirmation emails, notifications, login link emails). Alone it's a sign of spam nor ham, but combined with other things it can be interesting. The others don't ring a bell for me.

Bert