On Sat, 2022-08-13 at 10:21 -0400, joe a wrote:
> This is a low volume system consisting of postfix, SA, clamav and
> fetchmail.
>
> The mailserver (postfix) is not exposed to the internet, mail traffic
> is sent to it by "fetchmail", which itself goes out to several
> providers where mail accounts reside.

I've been running a very similar small volume mail system for some time
and am happy with it. My mail handling pipeline has these steps:

- I use getmail, running on my house server, rather than fetchmail, to
  fetch incoming mail. I don't read or write mail on the house server.
- All incoming mail is then passed to SA, which has quite a lot of
  custom rules
- SA output is passed to a privately-written filter.
  This puts spam into a holding area, where A cron job deletes it
  after a week.
  It calls the Postfix sendmail to pass ham to Postfix for delivery.
- I run Dovecot to pass incoming mail to systems on my local LAN:
- All mail sent on my LAN is sent via the Postfix instance on the house
  server, so all system messages get forwarded to the laptop I use as my
  main terminal device
- The house server sends outgoing mail directly to my ISP.

The main benefits of this setup are:
- since externally sourced mail is fetched from my mailbox on my ISP,
  my firewall can be set to refuse all external connection requests.
- all non-spam mail (both external and from other systems on my LAN)
  ends up in the mailbox on this 'ere laptop
- implementing a mail archive only needs a storage mechanism and
  configuring Postfix on the house server to BCC everything to it.

Thats probably more than you wanted to know, but hopefully will show you
that this sort of mail handling system is both easy to set up and robust
in operation. Its been running with essentially no changes for over ten
years now.

Martin