On 2022-08-12 at 23:43:48 UTC-0400 (Sat, 13 Aug 2022 13:43:48 +1000)
Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net>
is rumored to have said:

Why are you not blocking with blacklists at the border, ie: MTA.

Given its 0 resources for your MTA, with anti spam checking on SA often using significant resources (depending on traffic/number of tests/rules etc), its best to stop it getting to SA in the first place.

Absolutely true for sender and client host domains, but looking for domains in mail body URIs as Joe described isn't possible in most MTAs and is inherently costly.

SA also has this by-default list of domains that it never checks,

Not exactly. There are 2 distinct domain lists internal to SA that exist to reduce false positives.

1. The URIDNSBL 'skip' list of domains which are ignored in body URIs. These are known to not *per se* have any correlation to the ham/spam classification decision.

2. The default welcomelist, which provides a 15 point bonus when in a sender address that has been authenticated with DKIM or SPF. In comparison, explicit block/welcome listings (i.e. done locally) are worth +/- 100 points. These are domains which the SA developers believe *BASED ON HARD EVIDENCE* send only ham to the degree that is possible for a large sender of commercial email.

The purpose of these is not to overrule conscious local admin choices, but to minimize bad surprises.

for along time I have disagreed with this, we are the ones to decide who gets whitelisted not SA, not some paid third party,

That's the ideal, but it is not universally feasible. Most sites won't know what needs exemption from filtering until they have a false positive. They may never figure it out. Both lists that are internal to SA are intended to only reduce false positives, not to exempt anyone from behavior norms.

the option clear_uridnsbl_skip_domain  however prevents this,

Yes, you can clear out the skip list in whole or piecemeal. You can also remove sender domains from the default welcomelist or zero out the score for USER_IN_DEF_WELCOMELIST entirely to disable that list.

but then you have to locate and 0 all the general rulesets scores that are whitelists as well.

Not sure what you mean by that... There are a handful of rules that sidestep specific false positive cases because the hit being evaded isn't meaningful in specific cases. None of those are intended to 'whitelist' any domain, they exist to avoid incorrect hits.