Eric A. Hall wrote:

Every filtering system requires admin time, and if the reviews don't say
as much then they're junk.

There is a critical difference with SA, however, which is that the admins
need to be proficient at stuff like CPAN, Perl, etc., while some of the
packaged offerings provide simple click-the-button GUI, and those can have
significantly lower salary associations.

I know next to nothing about Perl, and trying to grok someone elses Perl makes my eyes bleed, and I have a rather bad-ass little SA box filtering mail like a banshee. It was easy to install...

apt-get install exim4-daemon-heavy spamassassin clamav-daemon razor

Debian is your friend.  :)

However, you make a good point. Setting up a box takes at least a little *nix knowledge, or at least the ability to look for good documentation and learn quickly. There are many howtos out there that can pretty much bring a newbie up to speed in a matter of hours.

One thing that is definitely missing is a Linux-based CD-bootable distro that creates a mail filtering gateway, similar to some of the firewall distros (IP-Cop, for example).

I won't even get into the whole salary association thing, I work at a private school, so I'm already on the low-end of the pay scale. Can't beat the hours, though.

- S