Brian Leyton wrote:
> I'm relatively new to SpamAssassin, but I've managed to get it working well
> in conjunction with MimeDefang.  I'm having a strange problem though, which
> I hope someone can help me figure out.
>
> I'm on a hobby mailing list, and occasionally emails to this list are being
> tagged as spam by SpamAssassin, based on the website mentioned in the emails
> being on multiple URIBL lists.  Strangely though, when I go to the SURBL
> checker at rulesemporium.com, the site is NOT shown as being listed on any
> of these lists.

Are you sure you are checking the right domain at the surbl website? There could
be many domains checked, did you check them all?

Have you tried pumping the message through the command-line SA?

> Bayes correctly considers these emails to NOT be spam, but the 4 URIBL
> positives are enough to put the score over the top.
>
> I have included this domain in the whitelist in sa-mimedefang.cf, but that
> doesn't help.

How, exactly, did you do this? whitelist_from? whitelist_from_rcvd? Either of
those, if set properly, should cause a -100 point bias to the message, clearly
way beyond the reach of URIBL FPs.

That suggests to me you used something else, or it's not working due using the
wrong second parameter on a whitelist_from_rcvd.

> What might cause these lookups to return false positives?

It could be a short-term listing that got pulled from SURBL shortly after being
added. However, if it's persistent, that's unlikely.