Hmm... That's the whole point of fighting spam.  They open a hole, we
close it.  Step 1-7 is the same process we go through every day in rule
writing.   If we don't go through that process, spam accuracy drops, we
loose customers.  How is that a 'useless rathole'?

This cycle will never stop until people stop pumping money into porn,
penny stocks,  penis pills,  fake watches, etc.  Although if you are in
the antispam business, that's a good thing.  As more and more children
start to grow up with computers in schools, and the eldery that never
had that luxury die off (ya you doc! ;-) ), computer literacy should
rise, and spammers will suffer at decreasing conversion rates.  So
spammers will need to increase their volume to make up for the decrease
in conversion ratio.  Fun times ahead I say!