I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to answer your questions since you
don't seem to be coming at it from the admin side.

But I can tell you that SA requires you to use the 'filter' user account
(whatever that is on your system) to send an email through SA.

So, make sure you SU (super user) to use the filter user account that calls
SA before you try to send a test email through SA.