If you do the math out, I would bump it down to 10 -15.  AT 15 you would be using 675mb of RAM (likely).  Since you have other things that still need to run, you need to leave some space open.  We currently have ours set to 8, and we have umteen thousand messages handled a day with 2 gig of RAM in the server.  That seems to work fine.

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 11:41 -0400, Bowie Bailey wrote:
WrackWeb - Jean Respen wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > WrackWeb - Jean Respen wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've some troubles with spamassassin. Sometimes (and i don't know
> > > why exactly) my server has high load (like 50 or 60 or more) so
> > > it's impossible to connect via ssh, everything crash (apache,
> > > qmail, vpopmail, etc...) and i have to go to the datacenter to
> > > reboot the server... and if i'm able to connect via ssh (after
> > > having waited 40 minutes...) i can see that perl or spamd are the
> > > processes which take the most part of the load (perl due to
> > > qmailscanner, who invoke spamassassin). I'm under a debian
> > > stable, i've installed spamassassin via package AND source...
> > > maybe it's because of this
> > >
> > > In my syslog i've this just before it crashed :
> > >
> > > Jul 24 15:55:47 localhost spamd[29579]: prefork: child states:
> > > BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBKBBBBBBBB
> > >
> > > Has anyone got an idea?
> >
> > Looks like it's spawning more children than your server can handle.
> > How much memory do you have on this server?  Use the "-m" option to
> > spamd to reduce the maximum number of children.
> >
> > You can look at the memory usage of the children with top during
> > normal operation and then compare that with your available memory to
> > get an idea of how many children you can handle before the machine
> > starts going into swap.  Once you stat swapping, your performance
> > will take a nosedive.
> >

> Mhhhh the processor is a Xeon 64 bits 2.8 ghz with 1 go of ram, i
> really don't think it comes from there, don't u?

With 34 children and only 1GB of ram?  Yea, I think that might be the
problem.

Even with nothing else using memory, that only gives you 30MB per
spamd child.  My smallest spamd child is using 45MB at the moment.  I
would suggest adjusting your max children until you find a level that
runs well without becoming overloaded.  Try setting a max of 20-25 and
see what happens.  If it runs well, bump it up a bit.  If it still has
problems, drop it some more.