--On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 5:37 AM -0700 Marc Perkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Why not just eliminate the SMTP protocol for end users and keep SMTP as a
server to server protocol and have users send theit email to the server
by extending POP/IMAP to send email.

What's your objection to authenticated SMTP? It already exists, and clients support it. All my users use it.

About the only hitch is that I have to configure the server twice in Mozilla. (It would be nice to have a checkbox to say that the SMTP info is the same as the IMAP info, except for port number.)