Duncan Hill wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 10:19, aurora wrote:
>> Basically, we now get alot of customers calling us saying that they have
>> not received our email and it's because it has been held on their spam
>> server with a score of 6, even though its a plain text email! We have
>> only
>> been getting these issues since we have switched the configuration over.
>>
>> If SpamAssasin doesn't increase the score due to this extra hop/relay, I
>> can discard this as being a cause of the problem.
>
> Relaying itself is a fundemental part of how e-mail works, and when I last
> looked, SA doesn't hit you for doing that.
>
> As the customers who are spam-quarantining for the rules that hit - you
> may
> find that a relay server is listed in a blacklist or similar.

Hi Duncan, thanks for the quick response.

As I understand that relaying is a fundamental part of delivering an email,
I'm guessing this configuration is not normal. Our SMTP server hits the
ISP's SMTP server which then hits the customers SMTP/POP server. In most
cases, your SMTP server will just find a direct route to the destination
server and only the sending server and receiving server will be involved
without a server being "in the middle", no?

Is it not classed as a form of open relaying, even though there is a form of
authentication (IP check) on it? Both our external IP and the ISP's email IP
are not listed on any blacklist (checked with dnsstuff.com).

Again, thanks for the quick reply, it's appreciated.