Nick Rout wrote:
So I take it USER_IN_WHITELIST also checks Return-Path? I wonder where
Return-Path is being set? Is it likely to be set by the spammer? Or is
my system adding it in somewhere (probably in error).

Return-Path is usually added by the receiving system, and contains the envelope sender of the message. So effectively, it's set by the sender.