For my IMAP mail account my e-mail host has setup Spamassassin to be automatically trained by using a 'spam-to-learn' and 'ham-to-learn' IMAP folders for my mailbox on the server. I had assiduously been moving messages not already marked as [SPAM] by Spamassassin into the 'spam-to-learn' folder. I had thought that the 'ham-to-learn' folder was for messages which Spamassassin had marked as [SPAM] but which really were not spam, so considering these were very few I had moved almost no messages into my 'ham-to-learn' folder.

Very little changes have happened in Spamassassin's ability to mark messages as [SPAM], despite the fact that my messages on this mailbox run at least 30-1 'spam'-normal and I get about 250 messages a day. Spamassassin was only marking maybe 5% of my total spam messages as spam. I then asked my mailbox host why Spamassassin was not catching more spam and he told me that until Spamassassin has processed at least 200 messages from both the 'spam-to-learn' and 'ham-to-learn' folders, it does very little to pick up spam messages.

Is this true ? Am I supposed to be putting copies of messages which Spamassassin has not marked as spam and which are not spam into my 'ham-to-learn' folder, as opposed to messages which Spamassassin has erroneously marked as spam ?

Even in the latter case, I have so few messages sent to this mailbox which are not spam that it will take up a few weeks to get 200+ messages processed by Spamassassin in the 'ham-to-learn' folder. Until that time Spamassassin will continue to not mark spam as such. Is this the normal way in which Spamassassin works or is my mail host incorrect ?