On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Plenz wrote:
Adding a point for corrupted images is sounding better and better.

I disagree. To check out what happens I converted a JPG picture into a GIF
file
and sent it to myself. One time I converted it with IrfanView and the second
time with PaintShop Pro. Both GIF files had the result
"giftopnm: EOF or error reading data portion..." So I produced a corrupt (?)
image, but it was not spam.

I had similar results.  As soon as I installed FuzzyOcr, I
saw a whole series of legit messages the log going back and
forth between two users, all getting FUZZY_OCR_CORRUPT_IMG.
I didn't look at the messages, but one assumes they were
somebody's e-mail signature with a GIF in it or something.

Ideally, users wouldn't include corrupt images in messages,
but it does happen, so I thought a score of 3.0 for
FUZZY_OCR_CORRUPT_IMG was too harsh.  I set it to 2.0 at my
site.  FuzzyOcr is still catching the bad stuff, and I feel
less nervous that a minor file format infraction might cause
false positives.

Also, there is the small matter that just because giftopnm
doesn't recognize it doesn't mean it's invalid.  Are we sure
that giftopnm recognizes 100% of all possible items that occur
in GIF files?

  - Logan