RE: Could THIS have doubled my SA Speed...

First, I'm using a windows Port of SA... and I use this as a helper application
in addition to my own custom programmed spam filter. Along these lines, I
purposely have RBL checks and URI checks disabled in SA because I do these
myself. But I **do** have Razor2 and DCC enabled.

Anyways, I was trying to see what I could do to speed SA up as it seemed slower
than it used to be.

I tried adding a "resolv.conf" file (which wasn't previously there) and entered
my local DNS caching server there.

Then, I restarted SpamD and ran a corpus of 50 test files through SA (using a
batch file, processing them one-by-one)... and this 2nd time it processed twice
as fast. I ask if these results sound correct because I figure that my results
might be anidotal. Does this type of speedup sound correct?

I know that using a local DNS caching server can speed things up, but I was
only specifying the SAME one what was already the default DNS server in my NIC
card setup... so I would have thought that this would have already been the one
chosen.

But I have another question:

It stands to reason that, even though I have RBLs and URI-checked turned off,
there must be something ELSE that is getting checked across the network (via
DNS)... or OTHER DNS traffic besides just RAZOR and DCC. Any ideas what that
might be?

I guess I was a bit surprised at this speedup since I have most of these
DNS-type checks disabled. (But maybe there is still more going on via DNS that
I realize?)

Thanks!

Rob McEwen
PowerView Systems