John D. Hardin wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Matthias Keller wrote:

I'm curious.. as someone who ALSO runs a home mail server...

What's wrong with evolving best practices to require that our outgoing email be channeled through our ISP's mail server, instead of having our customer-assigned IP addresses directly connect to other people's mail servers?
And forcing users to use their ISP's mail server efficively defeats SPF

How so?

I'm assuming a home business owner owns and uses their own domain and
has the ability to set up SPF records for that domain. If you are
routing your outbound mail via your ISP's MTAs, just grab your ISP's
SPF record and use it for your domain. If your ISP is doing SPF checks
you might need to talk to their MTA via SMTP AUTH to bypass that test.
a) an average user has no knowledge of SPF and cannot setup such a record correctly b) most providers (at least around here) dont allow users to freely modify their dns zones c) users using laptops might be using many different providers - the one at home, the one in the office, one on the road, an occasional wlan one - you just cant include all these provider's MTAs that you might ever be using

I agree for (some) businesses this might be doable as long as their guys aren't travelling or home working too much but it's impossible for privately owned domains or when the users use their emails from all their private ISPs at home

Matt